Articles to read
- Black Blossoms Art School
- Black muses: who are these neglected sitters?
- Revisiting Edward Said’s ‘Orientalism’ 40 Years On
- Decolonizing Art History
- Activating an Afrofemcentric Critique
Videos to watch
Excuse me but what is ‘black art’?
- Verity Babbs Art: in conversation with Alayo Akinkugbe
- Whoever heard of a Black artist? Britain’s hidden art history
It’s really time to Rethink the Canon
- Open Courtauld Hour – Episode 1 S3: Rethinking Gauguin
- Afterlives of the Kingdom of Haiti, 1820-2020: Art, Refinement and Material Culture
Podcasts for your ears
- Art History Babes Podcast – Four friends talking about art. Good episodes to check out would be Writing Anti-racist Histories with Blair Imani and Decolonize the Art World with Yaa Addae.
- The Art Angle – Four Artists on the Front Lines of the George Floyd Protests
- Art Matters has A LOT of great episodes so here a just a few that I liked The Black Presence in European Painting ft. Michael Ohajuru, How Blind and Partially Sighted People Engage with Visual Art ft. VocalEyes, Black Women Artists and #blackgirlmagic ft. Bee Tajudeen and Rosa Uddoh, The Art of RuPaul’s Drag Race ft. The Art History Babes and Mermaids and Mythical Creatures in Art and the Queer Community ft. Sacha Coward.
- Modern Art Notes Podcast – the Riffs & Relations episode is a convo with Adrienne L. Childs about an exhibition she curated of the same name, which delves into African American encounters with European modernism.
- Black Gals Livin has a great interview with Bolanle where she talks about the importance of investing in black art (founder of Black Blossoms) Investing in black art & Happy 1 year to us! Ft the incredible Bolanle Tajudeen
Organisations you should check out
social media to follow
Follow to expand your art history know-how
Follow for some good decolonial art history resources
Follow for people decolonising art history